Image source: Peter Mai / CC BY-SA via Wikimedia Commons
Video poker games are played through gambling machines. But they are not slot machines. There are major differences between video poker machines and slot machines. Although there are some similarities as well. Video poker can be found in the slot machine sections of an online casino. In this article, we have discussed how to play video poker and what are the basic rules and tips.
What Is Video Poker
Whether you are playing slots or video poker, both require the input of cash to claim credits on the machine. Then these credits are used to bet or hitting various winning combinations of symbols on pay lines. You have random symbols on a slot machine. They are usually based on traditions, for example, bars or fruits. However, many of the slot machines also use playing card symbols like J, Q, K. Each symbol has its own significance. All of them have a probability of coming up on a pay line. On older slot machines, each symbol had an equal chance of appearing. Whereas, on newer machines, every symbol has wildly varying chances of appearing.
How to play Video Poker:
Video poker is not so hard to learn casino game. We have mentioned the steps below to make it easier for you to learn the game, especially if you are a novice. So the basic rules to play video poker are as follows:
- Put your money inside the machine.
You can wager between 1 and 5 coins.
- Choose the denomination of the game you want to run.
- Select the game you want to play from the screen.
- Start playing a hand by hitting the “Deal” or “Play Max Credits” button.
- Select the cards you want to hold by hitting the “Hold/Cancel” button or by touching the card on the screen.
- The value of your final poker hand determines your winnings.
If you know the odds of winning and the winning amount, you can calculate the house edge of the game.
Video Poker Pay Table
The entire video poker paytable is displayed on the screen. However, sometimes a part of the paytable is visible on the screen. And the rest is displayed elsewhere on the front of the game. You can touch the spot on the screen named “More Pays” or something similar to view the remaining paytable.
Although the general layout of video poker pay tables are usually the same. The top line shows the royal flush. It then follows by lower-paying hands down to the lowest paying hand. Each line of the paytable describes the hand in the left column. On the right side, there are many columns that show the pays for the hand that has an increasing number of credits played. The first column shows the pay if you have one credit in play. Whereas the second column shows the pay for two credits. This means each column to is for one additional credit. The last column is for the maximum credits that the players play. Which is usually five credits.
Things to remember:
Here are some key points that we would want you to keep in mind before playing video poker.
- To gain maximum benefit from your video poker play, bet the maximum number of credits in each hand.
- Always select the proper denomination of video poker games, in order to make your bankroll last longer.
- Never overbet your bankroll.
- Always pay attention to the paytable. It gives you all the necessary information that you need to know.
- The royal flush pay line is usually the only winning hand that has a bonus for playing the maximum credits.
- Always maintain discipline while gambling.
- Set a betting limit and play with what you can afford to lose.
- Last but not the least, practice and enjoy the game as much as you can. Don’t stress out!
We hope that this information on how to play video poker helped you in gaining sufficient basic knowledge and useful tips. To add to the thrill of the game, see latest online poker bonuses. You can win some extra bucks and points that you can redeem to play more games.